Boy Receives Compensation after being Electrocuted at Leisure Centre
A small boy, who was electrocuted by a faulty hair dryer at a Leisure Centre in East London, has been awarded £1,750 in compensation.
Five year old Harley Sutton-Dormer had been enjoying a day’s swimming with his family at the Belhus Park Leisure Centre, in South Ockendon, Thurrock but in the changing rooms afterwards the youngster picked up a hair dryer and was electrocuted as soon as he turned it on.
The Thurrock Gazette is reporting that the young boy suffered a burn to his side and his clothes were singed by the faulty appliance, paramedics who arrived at the scene stated that Harley was only saved from more serious injury because of the plastic shoes he was wearing.
His mother twenty seven year old Danielle Sutton, of South Ockendon, told the newspaper that Harley suffered nightmares following the incident and refused to go swimming again for almost six months.
The owners of the leisure centre, Impulse Leisure Ltd, received a fine and were ordered to pay court costs, which totalled £7,425 after admitting a breach of health and safety regulations at Basildon Magistrates’ Court.
The company also apologised to Harley and his family and agreed to pay the young boy £1,750 in personal injury compensation.